Bay Baptist Academy Update:
Things have picked up rather quickly since my return, and are a little hectic. Here’s a short chronological list of happenings to bring you up to speed.
- Arrived in P.E. on Friday of last week
- Friday, I viewed several properties of interest, personally and privately
- I liked what I saw in this property https://www.property24.com/for-sale/newton-park/port-elizabeth/eastern-cape/8266/110614404
- Monday, I viewed several more properties.
- Wednesday, I went back to view the property linked above and took along 2 board members to view the property and share the vision I have for the location.
- Thursday, collectively, we decided to make an offer on the property for R1,750,000.00 (at the moment $114,000.00)
- Friday morning the offer was submitted, and we received word that it was accepted late last night.
As you can tell, the building is no where near the size of the facilities we were originally considering. However, it is in a great location, very central and safe, and there is sufficient room to build a multipurpose “gym-style” assembly hall with classrooms.
My long term vision for this property is to have this facilitate the “Foundation Stages,” grades R-3, and possibly separate the grades 4-8 and even at some stage grades 9-12.
Thursday, I hired a school secretary and a qualified department head. Last night, I interview two more educators. We also held our first, in person, board meeting and elected a secretary for the board, Juan Jonas. He is a member of one of our local churches and is a practicing lawyer now on retainer for the school. Monday, we start an intensive 8am-4pm training session for the curriculum we intend to use. Including myself, there are 8 of us who will be getting certified.
After Title transfers and getting the property rezoned to Business 1 (approximately $7,000) – Currently we have $121,000, just enough to cover these costs!
Funds for modifications:
Flatlet – There is a flatlet on the property which will be used to house one teacher arriving December 17th. It needs a kitchenette and bathroom and a few upgrades ($12,500+/-)
Entrance – the facility already has the plans to expand the foyer and reception area, making it handicap accessible and give an aesthetically pleasing entrance ($15,000 +/-)
Computer Lab – $5,000
Parking area and courtyard – $6,500
300 sq meter Hall (multipurpose building, with extra classrooms) = $150,000
Thanks for your prayers.
Jeremy & Rebekah Hall